Section 1: Use of the services
- 2. Restrictions on use
Use of the services is subject to any restrictions we may impose, such as age restrictions or limiting use only to those persons who have completed the procedures we prescribe.
- 3. Use by minors
- 4. User registration
In providing the services, we may require that you register an ID (including a “gooID” or any other ID of a service provided by a third party) and information relating to yourself.
You must register your ID and information accurately. If any change arises in the ID or information that you have registered, you must promptly amend the ID or information in accordance with the prescribed method. Please see here for how to update your gooID registered information.
Section 2: Management of ID, password, and user devices
You must manage your ID, password, and devices at your own responsibility. If your ID, password or device is used, we will deem that you yourself have used the services, and you will be fully liable for all matters in respect therewith. If your ID or password becomes known to a third party, or if you think that your device might be being used by a third party, you must immediately contact us to that effect and follow any instructions we provide.
Section 3: Personal information
- 1. Personal information
- 2. Purposes of use
We may use your personal information (including the history of your use of the services; the same applies hereinafter) for any of the following purposes:
- (1) providing the services (including advertising), and verifying and improving the services;
- (2) developing, testing, and verifying new services;
- (3) marketing research;
- (4) responding to customer inquiries and providing customer support;
- (5) verifying customer identity and performing credit management;
- (6) billing fees, charging payments, and settling payments;
- (7) providing notification or information about our services or those of a third party;
- (8) sending and notifying you about lotteries and prizes from promotional campaigns, and awarding loyalty points;
- (9) conducting, analyzing, and collating questionnaires and sending notifications and participation rewards in respect thereof;
- (10) preparing statistical materials that are processed in such a way that customers are unable to be identified individually; and
- (11) using such statistical materials ourselves or providing them to a third party.
- 3. Providing personal information to third parties
We may provide your personal information to third parties in any of the following cases:
- (1) if we are required to disclose your personal information to a court, public prosecutors office, police, tax office, bar association, or other duly authorized organization similar thereto;
- (2) if disclosing your personal information to a financial institution, credit card company, collection agency, or other business operator who provides settlement services or agency services therefor, in order to complete settlement of fees and other monies to be paid to us by customers;
- (3) if we engage a third party to perform all or any part of our business;
- (4) if necessary in order for us to exercise our rights;
- (5) if disclosing your personal information to the recipient of our business in the case that our business is assumed by such recipient due to merger, business transfer, or other event; or
- (6) if permitted under the Personal Information Protection Act or other laws or ordinances.
- 4. Handling of information linked to third party IDs
- 5. Sending of advertising and promotional information
We may send you emails and other promotional information related to third party advertising or promotions, and you consent in advance to us sending such emails or other information.
- 6. Person responsible for management of personal information
The person in our company responsible for the management of personal information is the executive in charge of business risk management.
Section 4: User-generated content
- 1. Ownership of copyright
- (1) All copyrights pertaining to questions, answers, supplementary questions, and thanks, and any text data or the like in your public profile such as your self-introduction, that you post or register on the services up to and including January 26, 2015 will, as of the time at which they are posted or registered, be automatically transferred from you or the relevant right holder and belong to us and OKWAVE. Neither we nor OKWAVE will be liable to make any payment in respect of such transfer.
- (2) All content other than that provided for in the preceding item belongs to the user who posts or registers such content except as otherwise provided for. You grant us the exclusive right to use such content without charge and in perpetuity, whether in Japan or any other territory, in order for us to operate the services (including the rights provided for in Article 21 through Article 28 of the Copyright Act of Japan), and the right to permit license the use of the content to the affiliates of our services and our operational outsourcees. You warrant that you are duly authorized to grant us the rights provided for in this item.
- (3) You may not exercise your moral rights against us or a third party in relation to any of your content (regardless of whether or not you own the copyrights pertaining thereto).
- (4) If you transfer to a third party your copyright pertaining to the content stated in item (2) of this paragraph, you must cause the recipient of such copyright to comply with terms and conditions provided for in this section.
- 2. Deletion by us
- (1) “Posting Guidelines” that provide for rules etc. relating to posting on the services are displayed on the webpages of the services. If your content contains, or we deem that it is likely to contain, content that is prohibited by the Posting Guidelines, we may delete (or make unviewable by the public; the same hereinafter) or alter such content without notifying you in advance.
- (2) If we deem that your content is inappropriate for a reason other than as provided for in the preceding item or if we find it otherwise necessary, we may delete or alter your saved content without your consent.
- (3) We will bear no liability whatsoever to indemnify you or any third party in respect of the deletion or alteration of your content pursuant to items (1) or (2) above. We do not bear any obligation to respond to any request from you to delete, alter, or otherwise manipulate any specific content.
- 3. Page layout
We may place content containing third party advertisements selected by us as well as the content of other users on the page on which your content is posted, and the layout of such page may be determined and altered at our sole discretion. If advertisements are displayed on the page on which your content is posted, any advertising revenue that is generated may be received by us.
- 4. Backup
You are responsible for performing any backup of your content, and we do not bear any obligation to backup your content.
- 5. User modification of content
On services in which it is possible to alter or delete content that you have posted or registered, such alteration or deletion of your content is only able to be performed by using the ID that you used when posting or registering the content.
- 6. Disclosing or providing user generated content to third parties
If we deem it necessary, we may disclose or provide to a third party at no charge the content that you have registered, posted, sent, or received through the services.
Section 5: Fees
If you use any of our paid services (“use” includes purchasing items), you must pay our prescribed fee by our prescribed method by our prescribed deadline. We will not refund any fees already paid to us, regardless of the reason. If you do not pay our prescribed fee by our prescribed deadline, you will be liable to pay to us delay damages equivalent to 14.6% p.a. calculated from the date immediately following the payment deadline.
Section 6: User responsibilities
- 1. Availability of equipment etc. necessary to use the service
You are responsible for the availability of all devices and the payment of all telecommunication fees necessary for you to use the services.
- 2. Prohibited acts
When using the services, you may not engage in any activity that falls under or is likely to fall under any of the following items.
- (1) any activity that violates laws, ordinances, or the rules etc. generally observed on the Internet;
- (2) any activity that causes detriment or damage to a third party;
- (3) any activity that infringes human rights or is discriminatory, or that encourages such activity;
- (4) any activity that offends public order or good social standards;
- (5) any activity that is criminal or linked to a crime;
- (6) any activity that incites or encourages suicide;
- (7) any activity involving the registering, posting, or sending or receiving of fraudulent information;
- (8) any activity relating to sexual practices, religion, or politics;
- (9) any activity with a commercial purpose or preparatory activity therefor;
- (10) any activity that excessively burdens or that disrupts the operation of the services;
- (11) any activity involving the analyzing, decompiling, or reverse engineering of any of the programs or applications contained in the services, or any activity involving the decoding of source code by any other means; or
- (12) any other activity that we deem to be inappropriate.
- 3. No transfer of rights or obligations
- 4. Indemnification
If in the course of using the services you cause any damage to us, you will be liable to indemnify us for any damage we incur (including attorneys fees). If in the course of your use of the services a dispute arises between you and a third party, you must resolve such dispute at your own cost and responsibility, and hold us harmless in respect thereof.
Section 7: Termination or limitation of use
- (2) if your payment of usage fees for the services is delayed;
- (3) if you use “goo Payments” and the means of charging you that you registered with “goo Payments” has been suspended or we otherwise deem that you are subject to credit uncertainty;
- (4) if your ID ceases to be valid;
- (5) if it is discovered that you are or have been a member of an anti-social force or a person related thereto;
- (6) if you delete your user registration for the services by our prescribed method;
- (7) if your use of the services involves activity that impedes the operation of the service or obstructs the operation of the services;
- (8) if we deem that it would be difficult to continue to provide the services due to an event such as a failure of the equipment etc. that is necessary to operate the services, a natural disaster, or a deterioration in power supply;
- (9) if it is discovered that you are deceased;
- (10) if you have not logged in with your “gooID” for a consecutive period of six months; or
Section 8: Termination of services
- 1. Our termination of the services
We may stop providing the services at our own discretion.
- 2. Handling of information after termination of the service
Section 9: Miscellaneous provisions
- 2. Changes to the services
We may make changes to the content or specifications of the services.
- 3. Contacting us
If you would like to contact us, please use the contact form linked to on the webpage of the services or use this form.
- 4. Notifications from us
Any notifications from us will be posted on our website or sent by email to the email address you register with us, and such notifications will be deemed to have arrived as of the time they are posted on the website or sent by email.
- 5. Transfer of business
- 6. Terms of service
- (1) We make no warranty whatsoever as to the quality, content or delivery of services, including as to the reliability, legality, safety, legal title in, or non-infringing nature of the services or the applications or content delivered therein, or whether they are suitable for your specific purposes or whether the services will not be suspended, whether you will be able to use the services at all times, or whether the services will not cease to be provided. Please see here for the goo terms of service. You use the services at your own responsibility.
- (2) We make no warranty that you will not be subject to computer viruses, cyberattacks, or the like.
- (3) We make no warranty that the information you register, post, send or receive through the services will not be leaked, lost, or tampered with.
- 7. Scope of our liability
- 8. Governing law; jurisdiction
- 9. Restricted application
- Established: November 22, 2000
- Revised: April 1, 2001
- Revised: March 20, 2003
- Revised: April 1, 2004
- Revised: October 28, 2004
- Revised: March 2, 2005
- Revised: September 29, 2005
- Revised: January 25, 2006
- Revised: February 21, 2008
- Revised: December 3, 2008
- Revised: January 15, 2014
- Revised: January 28, 2015
- Revised: September 30, 2015
Service-specific provisions: Application services
These service-specific provisions apply if you download and install applications from the services onto your device. Please note in advance that if you do not wish to provide your information through the applications, you will not be able to use the services.
- 1. Updates
At our own discretion we may release new versions of our applications, change their features, or impose restrictions on their use. If an application is updated, we may terminate support for previous versions of the application at our own discretion.
- Established: January 28, 2015